top of page
book cover for portoflio .jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.57.54 PM.png

Book cover for a trades school textbook

This job was focused on taking the client's idea and designing a book cover that was simple and professional. The client worked side-by-side with me while providing me with a specific criteria. They hoped for a few of the mathematical figures to be on the front as well as a simple design. 

Overview

Description

This job was focused on taking the client's idea and designing a book cover that was simple and professional. The client worked side-by-side with me while providing me with a specific criteria. They hoped for a few of the mathematical figures to be on the front as well as a simple design. 

Targeted User Group

The design was going to be targeting trade school students. Therefore it needed to be professional and relevant to the material in the textbook.

Tools Used

Criteria

- Simple Design

- Including mathematic figures

- Update often with client

- Adobe Illustrator

- Adobe Photoshop

Final Design

The final design included a front cover, spine, and back cover design. These are as shown below:

Full Book Cover (1).jpg

Back Cover

Spine

Front Cover

Process

There were three main steps with this book design process. Those steps were:

Step One:

Identify the client's wants/needs.

theme, font, criteria

Step Two:

Present designs to client

sketch

Step Three:

Design final book cover

iterate & design

After completing the first two steps, I was able to bring the favored design into Photoshop to begin the baseline design. 

Key Points during Process

While the process was rather seamless, I ran into one issue as well as one successful overcoming.

Full Book Cover (1).jpg

In order to include the mathematical figures from the textbook, the client handed me a 

document with pages filled with figures. They just wanted me to pick the most fitting ones

and then to place those on the cover. However, since they had just handed me a pdf with

figures, I ended up needing to redraw them in Adobe Illustrator. There were a few setbacks 

because of this because the quality kept worsening when being placed into the book cover

design document, but I was able to successfully redraw and import three of the figures.

Besides the drawback, I was very successful when presenting different themes and font for the book cover. The client did not have any picked out previously which allowed me to research and come up with the following font and coloring.

book thing.png

The client really liked the darker blue grey as well as the light blue grey for the theme. Also, after reviewing many fonts the client was most happy with New Standard.

Overall, this project was very beneficial to both the client and myself. I was able to work alongside client's with a driven purpose as well as the opportunity to have designer freedom. 

"Christina took our design ideas and specifications along with her own flair, creating a beautiful product. Her cover design delivers a streamline collage with a few of our diagrams that seamlessly encapsulates the contents of the book. This couples with the title box and color palette to provide clean and professional presentation, which we couldn't be happier with the outcome!"     -Client

bottom of page